Every yogi knows that a goal is to develop a personal practice so that we can take responsibility for the transformation that yoga creates. Knowing how to lead ourselves through a practice that both challenges and inspires us is the ultimate way to engage ourselves as spiritual practitioners.
Lofty goals aside, it can be challenging to remain inspired to step onto the mat without the guidance of a teacher or without the external trappings of the yoga studio. Here are five tips on how to build a consistent yoga routine:
1. Create the Space—Set aside a small part of your home that is dedicated to your practice. Even if your mat is folded up when your finished, a small altar of sacred items can be a visual reminder of the powerful effects of your practice and put you in the yogic frame of mind with just one glance. The more you use this space to practice, the more charged it will be, and ready to refuel you each time you bring your hands to prayer pose.
2. Engage the Ritual—As with any practice, consistency is key. Each time you begin your practice, mark it with some powerful gesture, symbol or affirmation to put your whole being in that frame of mind. Maybe you chant Om. On the days that it feels like that’s all you can do, even just the chanting of Om feels significant and restorative. And, sometimes, just this beginning will be all it takes to breath life into a more complete practice.
3. Empower Yourself—Understand what your practice can be, rather than setting some unattainable ideal. Not everyone has two hours for a yoga practice, and all the good yogis know that five minutes is better than no minutes. If life feels hectic, start small and be proud of even the smallest steps on the way to building a tradition for yourself as natural as brushing your teeth. For a little help on where to begin, try the Liberate Your Practice course on Udemy.com. I created it especially to provide all the tools you need to confidently develop a safe and sound home practice,by supporting you with video guidance and lectures.
4. Know the Goal—This is funny, because in yoga, there is no end goal. Rather, knowing the goal means understanding that wherever you are and wherever you begin your practice is perfect for that day. After all, the only person we can try to be better than is the person we were yesterday. A yogi might take it a step farther and just say that we can only try and be happier than we were yesterday.
5. Watch the Effects—Make note of every success, even the ones that seem small and insignificant. Our practice leads to greater awareness which, like ripples moving outward in a pond, starts to affect our lives. We may notice that our morning commute results in less stress, it’s easier to deal with our boss, we check our blackberry less at our son’s basketball game.
All of these personal changes are a result of a consistent yoga practice. As the practice works it’s way more deeply into our bodies and minds, the world around us becomes just as at ease as we become with ourselves.
- karelsmiles reblogged this from yoginikarel
- cosmicloveee likes this
- aashilwashere likes this
- stardustonsunflowers likes this
- n-a-z-a-r likes this
- shantichild reblogged this from urbanaffair
- iwillbefitandhealthy likes this
- udonmewdles likes this
- 18andcrazy reblogged this from thehealthycook
- metropoliskid likes this
- hyp-nos likes this
- lovecatalyst reblogged this from jahliss
- aeternuslibertas likes this
- peace-0ne-lov3 reblogged this from shantichild
- danielletriplettyo likes this
- itsmayj likes this
- belikethetrees likes this
- pocketwinchester reblogged this from thehealthycook
- meeptastic likes this
- elliot-thomas-morton likes this
- d8withthenight likes this
- hi-health likes this
- lazybrainzzz likes this
- otafuu reblogged this from high-freedom
- soulandwhimsy likes this
- kaitmariex3 likes this
- urbanaffair reblogged this from high-freedom
- high-freedom reblogged this from vainbaby
- vainbaby reblogged this from ohmshantiyoga
- sunkissed-and-smiling likes this
- weshouldletitbe likes this
- hotsaucepanda likes this
- natureincarnate likes this
- ohmshantiyoga reblogged this from yogabodies
- allthepoetry likes this
- we-are-all-earthlings reblogged this from yogabodies
- greenteavanillabean reblogged this from yogabodies
- yogabodies reblogged this from jahliss
- feelgoodnotguilty reblogged this from jahliss
- oceansight likes this
- fabgirlsguide likes this
- annie-loves likes this
- fit-and-proper reblogged this from yoginikarel
- yoginikarel reblogged this from start-living-the-dream
- losingorlosing likes this
- start-living-the-dream reblogged this from jahliss
- lenalosesit reblogged this from jahliss
- thetubbyvegetarian reblogged this from jahliss